We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Officer, Monitoring & Evaluation
- The A&T Nigeria State IYCF M&E Officer will work closely with the A&T M&E Advisor in Abuja, the Kaduna State Team Leads, and the Nigeria technical leadership team led by the A&T Nigeria Director. The State IYCF M&E Officer is responsible for providing technical assistance (TA) and program oversight in the design and implementation A&T Nigeria’s M&E portfolio in Kaduna states. This portfolio will be focused on the design, implementation, and monitoring of the A&T program components and its partners’ implementation of these. The program components include: advocacy, interpersonal communication, performance of frontline workers, community mobilization, mass communication, and the strategic collection and use of data.
- The position is responsible for providing IYCF M&E technical and program input through coordination, collaboration, and participation in discussions with partners (and through technical assistance and training as requested) in line with the Government of Nigeria’s National Strategic Plan of Action for Nutrition (2014-2019), specifically the FMOH; international donors; private/commercial and NGO agencies and projects; other partners and stakeholders in Kaduna states to help with tracking and reporting on the improvement of breastfeeding and complementary feeding practices. The position will also provide this support to the A&T Nigeria technical leadership team’s work to integrate IYCF messages, materials, tools, and indicators within these entities and their programs.
- The State IYCF M&E Officer will also help develop and implement an integrated M&E system for A&T to track the inputs, processes, outputs and outcomes of each of A&T Nigeria’s core activities, whether directly carried out by A&T or by its international and local subcontractors and partners. In this regard, the Officer will also oversee quality control and timely production of required project data, tools, materials and products relevant to M&E, including any operational research and baseline/end line surveys.
- This position will communicate, connect, and coordinate with other A&T HQ and A&T Nigeria office technical staff, subcontractors, partners, government and NGO stakeholders, and international donors to ensure successful design and implementation of the M&E portfolio of activities expected. This position will also play a role in disseminating lessons learned from M&E at national and state forums.
- Specifically in metropolitan Lagos, the Nigeria program (as an example only) might work with the State Primary Health Care Board, proprietary and patent medicine vendors, licensed traditional birth attendants, major public and private maternity centers, social franchise-oriented private organizations, faith- and community-based organizations, and related on-going projects to improve advocacy; interpersonal behavior change communication (counseling), and community mobilization efforts to reach pregnant women and new mothers; and use mass communication (through broadcast and digital channels) to further extend the reach of IYCF messages, provide follow-up counseling, and improve the social norm around IYCF practices.
- In rural and urban Kaduna, the Nigeria program (as an example only) might work with the State Ministry of Health, the Federation of Muslim Women Associations of Nigeria, the Market Women Association, and related health initiatives by the Dangote Foundation, USAID, Clinton Health Access Initiative, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Primary Health Care initiative to improve advocacy, interpersonal behavior change communication and community mobilization; and use mass communication (through broadcast and digital channels) to improve the social norm for IYCF among stakeholders and public and private frontline healthcare providers.
- At both the national level and in the two states, while the emphasis will be to build the capacity of the public sector to improve IYCF practices, the involvement and resources from the private and commercial sectors will be pursued to advance IYCF policies, expand the promotion of positive social norms, and extend timed and age-appropriate behavior change messaging through private and commercial facilities to households and communities. Formative research will be conducted to further understand target populations and audiences (stakeholders, providers, beneficiaries), and monitoring systems will be established to ensure that program inputs, outputs, and outcomes are tracked and fed back into improving the program.
Essential Job Functions
- Facilitate the use of data to develop and implement A&T programming in Kaduna state.
- Provide capacity building (TA and training) as needed in strategic collection and use of IYCF data.
- Assist the M&E Advisor to develop/refine M&E plans for A&T programming in Nigeria including suggesting possible indicators and proposing M&E strategies to collect data for chosen indicators based on the plan of action and project log-frame.
- Provide TA to IYCF partners & A&T sub-grantees in Kaduna state to improve the quality of M&E to track the inputs, processes, outputs, and outcomes of the supervisor-health care worker-community volunteer connection to the community and households. This may include TA to develop M&E plans, including suggesting indicators and proposing data collection strategies, activities, analysis and reporting formats.
- Provide input on the design and implementation of qualitative studies and quantitative surveys for IYCF, including sampling strategies, survey instruments, survey implementation, data analysis, report writing, and dissemination of results. This may include household surveys, trials for improved practices (TIPS), sentinel surveillance, lot quality assurance sampling, focus group discussions, in-depth interviews.
- Design, conduct and/or actively participate in designing and conducting short, focused evaluation exercises, operational research at designated sites, with topics determined in cooperation with public, private/commercial, and NGO sectors at national and/or state level; and A&T country office and/or HQ staff, to shed light on operational issues concerning implementation of A&T programming in Kaduna state. Share data and lessons learned from these exercises with local, national, and regional partners to continue to build the knowledge base of IYCF.
- Work with HF staff on IYCF documentation, data analysis and data display
- Collect, analyze, and make IYCF data available for decision making in A&T state office
- Help interpret and disseminate data on IYCF and ensure that results are reported to clients and partners.
- Keep abreast of international developments concerning M&E strategies for IYCF programs and share state-of-the-art information, tools, and approaches with A&T Nigeria and partners.
- Participate in various state working groups and task forces related to M&E for IYCF.
Specific roles/responsibilities include:
- Provide TA, coordination, and implementation support to the state Ministry of Health as requested, to include mapping of current IYCF M&E interventions and developing subsequent actions to fill in gaps or strengthen on-going activities.
- Provide TA and training to Kaduna state stakeholders on the strategic collection and use of data to track inputs, processes, outputs and outcomes. This will include assisting the M&E Advisor with oversight of baseline work and the set-up of M&E frameworks that will track input, process, output, and impact of at-scale state advocacy, IPC and community mobilization, and mass communications activities.
- Contribute to the development of A&T annual work plans, budgets (especially the M&E component) and project reports, and ensure timely reporting and responses to requests for information to HQ.
- Present/disseminate program results, based on program experience, M&E and evaluation data to GON platforms, projects and partners, and other professional colleagues and organizations in Nigeria.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Nutrition, Demography, Statistics, or related field, with emphasis on quantitative analysis. Master’s preferred.
- At least 5 years of M&E experience in Nigeria (similar global experience may be acceptable) required with at least 1 year in a role providing technical input to a large scale nutrition or public health/development project.
- Public health/nutrition field experience in designing, implementing, monitoring and reporting on various types of service delivery platforms (i.e. interpersonal communication, community mobilization and mass communication).
- Experience in analysis and interpretation of quantitative data, including experience drafting reports based on quantitative data
- Experience working with routine health facility and community reporting tools and the District Health Information system
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of health and development programming in a developing country.
- Working knowledge of major donor policies (USAID, Global Fund) as well as international not-for-profit organizations.
- Proven ability to coordinate a multi-sectoral development project.
- Ability to organize systems to monitor administrative and implementation results.
- Basic budget tracking or financial management skills.
- Previous experience with website content development, success story writing, or social media a plus.
- Training and presentation skills would be an added advantage.
- Ability to work independently with initiative to manage high volume work flow.
- Cultural sensitivity and diplomacy.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills with ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, Internet and other relevant software.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
- Competency in survey design and implementation and experience in data analysis using Stata,
- SAS, EpiInfo, or SPSS strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; fluency in Hausa strongly preferred.
Application Closing Date Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Method of Application