We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Scientific Research Adviser – Lassa Fever
Job ID: 1801533
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary Appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract duration: 6 months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Objectives of the Programme
- The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to help countries, and to coordinate international action, to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and emergencies.
Description of Duties
Focusing on research activities coordination and implementation on Lassa fever in Nigeria and based on the National Research Plan for Lassa, the incumbent will be working closely with the national research coordinator in order to:
- Provide expert advice on the conceptualization, design and implementation of the full range of research studies on Lassa fever as defined drawing on the expertise of R&D Blueprint team, WHE focal points and GOARN partners, WHO Collaborating Centres and other research methodology experts.
- Provide scientific leadership and support to Nigerian CDC and other Nigerian researchers to improve and expand their research skills, and particularly for implementation science and product research related to Lassa fever.
- Guide implementation of research capacity strengthening strategies on Lassa fever so that Nigerian research institutions and research partner organizations develop and implement collaborative research plan. The incumbent will ensure that research activities and capacities carried out are of high quality research, compliant with generally accepted scientific and ethical standards, and in view of sustainably building local research capacities.
- Oversee the implementation of all research management procedures so that research protocols and budgets are developed, reviewed (technically, ethically) and approved as efficiently as possible by relevant federal and state institutions, including national regulatory authorities as needed.
- Represent WHO on health research networks, committees and commissions so that the WHE Programme and WHO is able to inform and learn from key influential bodies; and engage with all relevant research groups within WHO Headquarters, Regional and Country Offices, and within other UN agencies as appropriate, to provide scientific leadership in evidence based guidance.
- Provide technical support to the Office of the NCDC Director in coordinating in raising and leveraging funds to implement and expand the research and research capacity strengthening roles of HRP.
- Carry out other tasks, as required by the WHO representative in Nigeria.
- Essential: An advanced university Degree at (Master’s level or above), in a discipline related to research in communicable diseases.
- Desirable: Specialization in field related to communicable disease, such as public health, epidemiology, or clinical trials. Recent training and certification in Good Clinical Practice in research and/or research ethics.
- Essential: At least 7 years of experience, at the national and international level, in research and research management, including at least 2 years of direct experience working in research in communicable diseases.
- Desirable: Experience in research knowledge and data management. Recent experience in fundraising or research grant writing.
- Expert knowledge of research in communicable diseases and its public health aspects, as evidenced by a track record of recent publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals in the topic area.
- Experience of managing a portfolio of research projects in public health.
- Implementation research in public health. Expert knowledge of research methods.
- Knowledge and skills in capacity building. Fundraising knowledge and skills will be an asset.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Promoting innovation and organizational learning
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- Desirable: Intermediate knowledge of one of the other official languages.
Application Closing Date
30th April, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online