The World Bank Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to improve the way it works. Key priorities include delivering measurable results, promoting openness and transparency in development, and improving access to development information and data.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Job #: 171573
Job Family: Administration
Job Type: Administrative
Recruitment Type: Local Hire
Language Requirement: English [Essential]
Background / General Description
- This position requires that the incumbent possess cognate education and experience to assist the Resource Management Officer; the Facilities Manager and the Security Specialist in the Nigeria Country Office in the day to day running and operation of the country office.
- He/she is expected to ensure that the administrative processes, travel coordination, protocol arrangements, security architecture/reports and facilities generally in the Country Office are running smoothly, continuously and efficiently at all times and that lapses are promptly brought to the attention of appropriate Bank officers for immediate resolution.
- The duties and responsibilities of the incumbent will include, but are not limited to the following:
- The Administrative/Travel/Facilities/Security/Visiting Mission Assistant will be a member of the World Bank’s Resource Management Team while supporting other teams and units where he/she also has a number of other responsibilities.
- The incumbent in this position works under the guidance of senior team members on detailed issues, using accuracy and attention to details in order to meet the target of the country office for timely processing of transactions and reporting of day-to-day RM, Travel, Facilities and Security work programs.
- Also, he/she needs to use working knowledge of daily Bank procedures to ensure that all the listed work programs are completed effectively, efficiently and timeously, working as need be with others in the team or in other Bank units.
- The incumbent is expected to multi-task as well as smartly apportion his time and energy appropriately to ensure that no area of his assignments suffer neglect or inadequate attention.
Responsibilities, Duties and Accountabilities
- Handle local purchasing of supplies (including printing); equipment and contracts for services.
- Manage insurance-related issues, updating the Country Office Insurance Schedule of local and foreign properties and motor vehicles in SAP.
- Procure and/or renew local insurance policy.
- Enter Bank assets in SAP Asset Register and ensure that new acquisitions are promptly posted in SAP.
- Undertake regular annual reconciliation of Country Office Assets/Inventory records.
- Handle all Consular, Privileges and Immunities matters for the Country Office and IFC.
- Protocol services and liaison with key Government agencies, the UN as well as Embassies.
- Provide logistics support and assist in managing and handling VIP visits.
- Provide logistics support and assist in the management and delivery of special events organized by the Country Office and/or Headquarters units.
- Over sight on the Transport Unit comprising all CO drivers and all the vehicles in the pool.
- Issue Access Cards to eligible staff, consultants and visitors.
- Deliver training to other RM staff on how to issue Access Cards.
- Preparation, renewal and reconciliation of supply and Firm contracts.
- Using desktop processing skills to produce complex texts, reports, figures, graphs, etc according to World Bank formats and standards.
- Hotel reservations for staff and visiting missions.
- Handling Unit correspondence, filing and retrieval of documents.
- Drafting standard letters, memos, minutes, faxes, etc conforming to the Organization’s regional standards, using proper grammar, punctuation and style.
- Photocopying and scanning of documents.
- Handle Bank publications and adverts in Newspapers and Magazines.
- Handle office supplies within the stipulated threshold.
- Manages Country Office electrical consumables.
- Generates worklist in SAP in event of disposal of Assets.
- Any other job that may be assigned by the RMO or any person in an acting capacity.
- Visiting Mission Coordination, including country-based travelers:
Incumbent is required to keep track of all operational travels in the Country office and including all staff and consultants who are on mission to Nigeria. In carrying out this job, the incumbent is required to do the following:
- Develop and monitor a Staff tracking report for all operational missions within or going out of the country.
- Produce staff track report twice a week for the CD and the Security Specialist.
- Develop a template for monitoring all vising missions coming into Nigeria.
- Ensure regular monitoring of all visiting missions with up to date information of their coordinates.
- Keep a close tab on all visiting staff and ensure that any issues are promptly reported to the Country Director.
- Monitor the status and location of visiting staff at all times, including during emergencies.
- Liaise with the Country Office Security Specialist and the acting Travel coordinator to ensure that legitimate logistics needs of visiting staff are met at all times, whenever possible.
- Keeps record of staff visiting on missions.
- Prepares bi-weekly visiting mission and staff movement report that goes to the CD.
- In the absence of the Security Specialist, seeks and obtains Country Office security clearance from the CD or acting CD before staff members travel on mission.
- Assists the Security Specialist in conducting security briefing to visiting staff.
- Processing of Import/Export Exemption certificates for the Country office and Staff members relocating to Nigeria Office(IRS), from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Agriculture, and the Department of Customs and Excise on behalf of the World Bank.
- Monitoring of shipments meant for the Country office from point of departure to arrival.
- Liaison with designated clearing agents to ensure early clearance of equipment, machineries, furniture and other assets for the Country Office.
- Close liaison with Immigration on shipping matters if and where necessary.
- Any other administrative, security or protocol-related duties as may be assigned by the Country Office RMO.
- Significant back-up to the CO Security Specialist in the handling of routine security-related issues by maintaining close liaison with the various providers of security services, UN and appropriate government agencies to ensure safety of lives and properties;
- Work with the Security Specialist and RMO to periodically update critical security documents such as Crisis Action Plan, Emergency Relocation and Evacuation Plan, Staff and Family Data List, etc….
- In conjunction with the CO Security Specialist, issue security advisory to staff and attend security focal points meetings at the UN.
- Member of the CO Crisis Management Team(CMT) only as a proxy when the Security Specialist is not present or strictly by invitation by the CD.
- Assist the SS in the preparation of the weekly Mission Reports
- Maintain and update records of all security equipment in the CO such as visiting missions’ cell phones, satellite phones, VHF radios and HF radios, etc.
Facilities Management / Maintenance Duties
- Assist the Facilities Manager(FM) deliver and manage the delivery of a range of services required to provide and maintain an appropriate working / living environment for staff and visitors which is safe and conducive to efficiency and which makes a positive statement about World Bank Group to clients and customers.
- Trouble-shoot, monitor and report problems with the Abuja Estate and residence to a call down contractor to fix building related problems and inform the FM immediately.
- Assist the FM in optimal Institutional safe guarding and gate keeping in upholding policies, procedures and processes with quality assurance.
- Asset and inventory management support: assist the FM to undertake at least one mandatory annual inventory check / update of Nigeria Country Office and residential premises furniture and equipment inventory items (in compliance with corporate guidelines)
Diesel Management Support:
- Ensure the three fuel dumps are checked and filled up in a timely manner.
- Ensure the fuel dip is taken weekly and alert FM for re-order before the tanks goes down to ¼
- Reconcile fuel usage by 5th of the following month
- Regularly inspect the tanks and report to FM.
- Ensure deliveries of diesel meet needs and is well recorded.
- Ensure the distribution of diesel are well documented.
- Ensure use of the pre-qualified diesel supply vendors.
- Always get 3 quotes for consideration before award of supply.
- Ensure to get appropriate clearance from the Facilities manager before embarking on the procurement steps and processes as enumerated.
- Ensure contracts for the procurement of all goods and services required for the optimum operation of all estates in Abuja are in place and well documented.
- Make best use of available resources to achieve best value for money for the WB.
- Undertake the procurement process for new and existing contracts following Corporate Guidelines when required or upon request of the Facilities Manager.
- Ensure that all contracts comply (where appropriate) with WB corporate standards.
- Monitor performance of suppliers against the contract agreement and no work is paid for unless fully inspected, satisfied and signed off by either resident or by you.
- Provide assurance through reporting to the FM on the effectiveness of the procurement process being followed.
- Regularly visit markets and shops to test the market for prices charged by contractors and suppliers and to ensure WB gets value for money in procurement of goods and services and that prices charged by contractor can be demonstrably shown to be at good market rate.
- Work with the FM in keeping records of market trends in view of future reviews of the Approved Vendor List.
- Undertake weekly facilities check every Wednesday and submit weekly facilities report every Friday in the GSDCR IFM approved template
- Ensure premises fitness for purpose integrity exercises are conducted routinely as scheduled, to include all daily, weekly, quarterly, bi-annual, and or annual schedules) to include fire, life and safety (FLS), fumigation, electrical systems, water pressure pumps, UPS, Central Stabilizers, inverters, ACs, generators, fuel pumps and tanks etc and accurate records and report made to the FM.
- Monitor all aspects of facilities maintenance and develop a system that ensure WB estates in Abuja, including two residences off-site are operating to full satisfaction of staff, customers and clients at all times.
- Maintain open and effective communication with counterpart officer working to RM, IT, clients and contractors, and share best practice on maintenance and facilities management.
- Carry out a Health and Safety assessment at least once a year and report finding to the FM, ensuring that appropriate standards are being followed without exception: fire alarms and fire equipment are operating properly, emergency exits are unobstructed, electrical cabling is tested and working environment meets standards. To ensure that valid evacuation drills are in place and tested regularly and to report on evacuation drills .
- Maintain Log for water, electricity, diesel, and car petrol usage for reporting Nigeria carbon foot print annual survey
- Perform any other Ad hoc duties as required and directed by the Facilities Manager.
- Minimum Bachelor Degree and at least 3 years of relevant experience.
- Previous experience with a multilateral/bilateral organization is an advantage.
- Technology and systems knowledge – Demonstrate advanced knowledge and experience working with Microsoft office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.). Has ability and willingness to maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Project and task management – Exhibit good organizational, problem-solving, analytical skills and ability to work competently with minimal supervision. Demonstrate attention to detail and quality. Has ability to manage multiple tasks and complete tasks within agreed schedule.
- Institutional policies, processes, and procedures – Demonstrate knowledge of own department’s programs and products, know key players, understand own role. Display understanding of WB policies and procedures relevant to the area of assigned responsibilities and is able to apply/ implement them.
- Versatility and adaptability – Demonstrate flexibility and is receptive to the implementation of new solutions. Is willing to stretch own capability. Demonstrate motivation to avail and adapt oneself to effecting change.
- Client Orientation (ACS) – Exhibit good communication skills, positive and professional client service attitude; is able to understand clients’ needs and complete them professionally.
- Learning, knowledge sharing and communication (ACS) – Good English language skills (verbal and written) Able to write clearly, edit and proofread draft communications. Able to learn and share knowledge/information across the unit.
- Business judgment and analytical decision making (ACS) – Able to manage information and support retention and disposition of information and records. Can search, report, and deliver basic information from various sources and independently respond to basic inquiries.
- Drive for Results – Able to take personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results and has the personal organization to do so.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborate with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
Application Closing Date
5th September, 2017.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.