International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer (PSS/Protection)
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has been implementing Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) projects in North East Nigeria since 2014. The projects seeks to address the psychosocial needs of the displaced populations and their host community, as affected by the on-going emergency.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior programme coordinator (ER), and under direct supervision of the Project Manager (Mental Health and Psychosocial Support), the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of the Mental Health and Psychosocial Support projects in North East Nigeria, as part of the emergency response.
In addition, part of the activities seek to address protection concerns with an emphasis on SGBV and PSEA. The candidate will be expected to monitor and have an overview of protection aspects of the project implementation.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Ensure implementation of psychosocial support and protection activities through overall coordination of the psychosocial support (PSS) mobile teams on the ground, including participating in the recruitment of team members, supporting their deployment and tracking of activities to ensure achievements of targets.
- Provision of technical guidance to the PSS teams and project coordinator through ensuring the quality of weekly supervisions, on the job training and field monitoring of the activities to ensure quality standards are met are in line with the relevant guidelines and project indicators, particularly with regards to protection integration.
- Liaise and coordinate with relevant stakeholders such as government actors, UN agencies, NGOs and civil society in relation to the project activities, including representing IOM in relevant sector working group meetings.
- Act as the protection focal point and protection resource person for the emergency operation unit. This includes provision of technical guidance in developing project proposals and implementing project components specifically with regards to protection issues.
- Ensure consolidation of reports from the PSS teams and on protection response and provide inputs for weekly and bi-weekly reports as well as for any other relevant documents being developed.
- Ensure the maintenance of a proper documentation and filing systems of the project activities.
- Participate in the development of new projects in coordination with the project manager based on identified needs during project implementation.
- Monitor and provide suggestions regarding the integration of cross-cutting issues such as protection, gender, child protection, counter trafficking and other vulnerable groups are included in the project implementation.
- Undertake duty travel to very challenging areas when necessary.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Psychology, Social Sciences, International Relations, Human Rights Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in coordinating humanitarian programmes, especially in emergency settings ;
- Participation to IOM corporate training in MHPSS an asset;
- Preferably within the International Humanitarian Field and within the organizations of the UN Common System.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances
Application Closing Date
3rd September, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.